Friday, June 6, 2008

Will somebody please switch on the "sun button " again. I would not survive Winter European climate. So you guys up there in the Northern Hemisphere enjoy your Summer...Who said it does not get cold in Africa ?

For this particular image I'm putting my head out on a chopping block [sounds so dramatic, got your attention?] and I really wish I could be an ostrich today but like it or not and as much as we go by our daily lives and "pretty up" our blogs [that no one really reads or cares for, ouch the truth does hurt] and pretty up images, we are surely faced with challenges in this country, on this continent. I now also understand that environmental and humanitarian issues do not work hand in hand as the experts try to explain. This is a camping site and has been made available as a refugee camp. The plan is to look after 200 - 400 people here as things get "sorted" out. If you are up to date with the latest political climate in South Africa you will understand this but here I cannot express any further its just too emotional and this is not up for heated debates etc. but where we all would just like to be fairy godmothers with magic wands and sort out the world and really not leave chess playing to who? No, gotta stop right here. My utmost respect goes out to the people who are involved in humanitarian aid at any given level.


This image is towards the sea where the estuary runs out or in , whichever way, when its high tides with the full and new moons. The mountains in the background are barely visible. The higher peaks get snow and this mountainous lining is what creates False Bay, [the one side of it]. The other side is the running towards Cape Point. [will elaborate as we journey further] As an ex-johannesburger [Gauteng] it also took a while to understand the 3 dimension of these mountains creating these horizons as up north, it's the digging up of flat goldmines that dot the plains. I'm treading on thin ice here, no wonder the toes feel numb.




The Cape can be really grim in winter. I've been wanting to do this aerial shot for a long time of the Zandvlei wetlands but the winter rainfall has other ideas, so we will do this over on a better day and with a "manual" exposure. I also had to get out, I think Capetonians get up to all kinds of things when outdoor activities are limited. I couldn't go further up on the road as they decided to work there..This is a view towards the mountain where I normally venture to for those sunset images.

1 comment:

Steffi said...

Your pictures are nice to see again and they looking like a german spring or autunm day.But of course better as a german winter.Yes at the moment is it warm here and sometimes already too hot for me because I don´t like heat.
yes, of course I heard about the latest political climate in your country and I am a little bit worried because in January of 2009 will come my daughter to S.A.She likes go to Fish Hoek.

But nevertheless I love your pictures!