Friday, August 1, 2008

Winter rainfall is difficult to get used to when your origins are from a summer rainfall area. My mind often wanders to the fauna and flora of the north of South Africa especially the wildlife. In short : I miss the bush.

Then it dawned on me, that we actually exchange and work with the Big 5 [lion, elephant, rhino, buffalo & leopard] every day. There they are still in my purse [lucky me] .


How many of us actually pay attention to which animal is on what note. Obviously, the credit worthiness amongst us will use plastic or electronic banking but I always liked the colour and design of our money. [noticeable, especially when abroad]. It might not have the value like it used to, but it is really not that long ago when the lion, R 50.00, the buffalo R 100.00, and let alone the leopard R 200.00, got introduced. [1990] Jaaa, we only worked up to the elephant R 20.00 for a long time and a rhino R 10.00 still filled a fuel tank. And I bet you that most of us still use 2 buffalo's before we even use or keep a leopard.

Well, we had confidence in our monetary value, it was once very strong and equal and the Big 5 were sufficient. I would really feel uneasy with a R500.00 note in my purse and if they would place Penguins on it, I would never spend it. Subconscious brainwashing from early days , perhaps?


And then, wildlife that remained of iconic value; the infamous Springbok. More designers are re-inventing this one.










You can stop holding your breath, I know butter is poison, but when my German mother searches far and wide for unsalted butter in Africa then you know it will be imprinted on your taste buds forever. This graphic slightly changed now but it has been with this Springbok butter for as long as I can remember. To this very day there is only one unsalted butter with of course the introduction of the 'Woolies' one but that really costs a small fortune. We could always immediately taste the difference especially in a cake, cringe. [So, Ma, wo ist mein Zitronenkuchen?]


A truly, internationally acclaimed, successful ceramic venture that also portrays the African Wildlife at its best, is Ardmore. You can indulge more on http://www.ardmoreceramics.co.za/.

There is so much more , so don't take away my wildlife icons, EIKONA...



1 comment:

Steffi said...

Great post, Anja! It´s interesting to see your money in S.A. It´s very colourful and looks nice.I hope Anne can see the Big 5 than in the real life.
Have a nice sunday!
I got your mail...