Friday, July 18, 2008

Blommetjies, blommetjies {it's a cute descriptive Afrikaans word for little flowers}
So, when last did I mention flowers? Okay, alright, I know but just bear with my predictability because there is always a story. Is this 'close up' recognizable as the Nasturtium flower?


It apparently grows anywhere like a weed. Well it's the first time in my many trial & error attempts that they are finally making it. Now I stand to be corrected, but as far as I know they don't really flower in winter.
Two bright orange {again} flowers peeping out under all that enormous green foliage, now that demanded my attention. Not to mention the nasty bunch of zillion snails getting there before me. How helpless the young ,strong and vigorous leafy green vegetables bursting with antioxidants face the onslaught of those brutal munchers, no, chompers. Any successful, organic fighting tactics out there?





Vegetarians don't look...


This is my' gourmet burger'. Comfort food for now. My dad halfheartedly, in an unofficial way declared me the 'bouletten queen' { berlin for fricadel }. He is not big on compliments, so it must be good. He is actually a born 'Berliner' but moved to Hamburg {to grow up to be good Hamburger}...cheeky, kids, of today...



In those attempts of trying to grow this herb, it became part of a design of my handmade bowl. Exposing the white clay through the under glaze colours with a simple' line scratching' ; showing the leaf and the flowers joined by twirly bits.


The flower was more appreciated visually, back in the vase. Maybe in summer we will have it tossed in the salad but after this close up study I think the pollen should be left to the working birds and bees...

1 comment:

Steffi said...

Really nice photo´s.And I like this flowers!
Have a nice weekend!